NATIONAL
Advocates Philippines
BARMM Under State Of Calamity As Oil Crisis, El Nino Hit Region Hard
Photo credit: Bangsamoro Government
Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao has officially been placed under a state of calamity following the worsening effects of the global oil crisis and the ongoing El Niño phenomenon.
Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua signed Proclamation No. 0002, Series of 2026, declaring the entire Bangsamoro region under a state of calamity as communities continue to face economic and environmental challenges brought by soaring fuel prices and prolonged dry weather.
According to the proclamation, El Niño conditions have been affecting the region since April, with climate models projecting the dry spell to continue until early 2027.
Macacua said the declaration would allow the Bangsamoro Government and local government units to immediately access emergency and calamity funds for relief operations, recovery efforts, and essential services for affected residents.
He also directed all ministries, offices, and agencies in BARMM to intensify disaster response operations to protect communities and address the growing impact on livelihoods, food supply, and public welfare.
The proclamation was based on the powers granted under the Bangsamoro Organic Law, which authorizes the regional government to respond to large-scale natural and man-made crises.
Meanwhile, the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries, and Agrarian Reform reported that around 800 rice and corn farmers in Maguindanao del Sur and Maguindanao del Norte have already been affected by the dry conditions.
Data from the ministry showed that more than 850 hectares of farmland across 36 municipalities and 167 barangays sustained damage as of April 24. This included over 500 hectares of rice fields and more than 300 hectares of corn fields, resulting in an estimated loss of 1,500 metric tons of crops.
Aside from agriculture, the regional government also pointed to the continuing spike in fuel prices as another major concern. Monitoring from the Department of Energy showed diesel prices climbed by as much as P11.88 per liter, while gasoline prices rose by P6.47 per liter earlier this year.
The fuel hikes earlier prompted the creation of the Bangsamoro Oil Crisis Impact Task Force through Executive Order No. 003, Series of 2026, aimed at addressing disruptions in transportation, food supply chains, and essential services across the region.
Officials said the combined effects of El Niño and rising oil prices have started affecting food security, transportation, livelihoods, and the overall welfare of residents in BARMM.
The declaration took effect immediately upon signing on May 14 and will remain in place until lifted by the Chief Minister.
Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua signed Proclamation No. 0002, Series of 2026, declaring the entire Bangsamoro region under a state of calamity as communities continue to face economic and environmental challenges brought by soaring fuel prices and prolonged dry weather.
According to the proclamation, El Niño conditions have been affecting the region since April, with climate models projecting the dry spell to continue until early 2027.
Macacua said the declaration would allow the Bangsamoro Government and local government units to immediately access emergency and calamity funds for relief operations, recovery efforts, and essential services for affected residents.
He also directed all ministries, offices, and agencies in BARMM to intensify disaster response operations to protect communities and address the growing impact on livelihoods, food supply, and public welfare.
The proclamation was based on the powers granted under the Bangsamoro Organic Law, which authorizes the regional government to respond to large-scale natural and man-made crises.
Meanwhile, the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries, and Agrarian Reform reported that around 800 rice and corn farmers in Maguindanao del Sur and Maguindanao del Norte have already been affected by the dry conditions.
Data from the ministry showed that more than 850 hectares of farmland across 36 municipalities and 167 barangays sustained damage as of April 24. This included over 500 hectares of rice fields and more than 300 hectares of corn fields, resulting in an estimated loss of 1,500 metric tons of crops.
Aside from agriculture, the regional government also pointed to the continuing spike in fuel prices as another major concern. Monitoring from the Department of Energy showed diesel prices climbed by as much as P11.88 per liter, while gasoline prices rose by P6.47 per liter earlier this year.
The fuel hikes earlier prompted the creation of the Bangsamoro Oil Crisis Impact Task Force through Executive Order No. 003, Series of 2026, aimed at addressing disruptions in transportation, food supply chains, and essential services across the region.
Officials said the combined effects of El Niño and rising oil prices have started affecting food security, transportation, livelihoods, and the overall welfare of residents in BARMM.
The declaration took effect immediately upon signing on May 14 and will remain in place until lifted by the Chief Minister.
May 21, 2026
We are dedicated storytellers with a passion for bringing your brand to life. Our services range from news and media features to brand promotion and collaborations.
Interested? Visit our
Contact Us page for more information. To learn more about what we offer, check out our latest article on services and opportunities.


