NATIONAL
Advocates Philippines
ICC Rejects Duterte's Bid For Interim Release
Photo credit: Congress PH
Former president Rodrigo Duterte will remain under detention at the International Criminal Court in The Hague after ICC Trial Chamber III denied his request for interim release.
The ruling came after Duterte’s legal team asked the court to temporarily release the former president, citing his advanced age and declining health condition.
In its decision, the chamber said Duterte had already been examined by three medical experts appointed by the ICC, and their findings did not show any condition serious enough to justify his release from custody.
The court also pointed to Duterte’s continued refusal to recognize the ICC’s jurisdiction, saying this raised concerns about whether he would comply with conditions if released.
According to the chamber, Duterte’s access to resources, political connections, family members, and supporters in the Philippines could potentially help him evade the proceedings or interfere with the administration of justice.
“Taken together with his access to vast resources and contacts, including his family and supporters in the Philippines who may assist him in evading justice, the Chamber finds that there is a real and substantial risk that the Accused could nonetheless abscond or obstruct justice,” the ruling stated.
The ICC further said Duterte’s physical and mental condition did not outweigh the risks cited by the court.
Earlier, Duterte’s camp argued that the former chief executive had been experiencing frequent falls due to balance issues and was also suffering from memory problems. His lawyers claimed his condition made it unlikely for him to influence witnesses or obstruct the case.
Despite those arguments, the tribunal ruled that Duterte would remain detained while proceedings before the ICC continue.
The ruling came after Duterte’s legal team asked the court to temporarily release the former president, citing his advanced age and declining health condition.
In its decision, the chamber said Duterte had already been examined by three medical experts appointed by the ICC, and their findings did not show any condition serious enough to justify his release from custody.
The court also pointed to Duterte’s continued refusal to recognize the ICC’s jurisdiction, saying this raised concerns about whether he would comply with conditions if released.
According to the chamber, Duterte’s access to resources, political connections, family members, and supporters in the Philippines could potentially help him evade the proceedings or interfere with the administration of justice.
“Taken together with his access to vast resources and contacts, including his family and supporters in the Philippines who may assist him in evading justice, the Chamber finds that there is a real and substantial risk that the Accused could nonetheless abscond or obstruct justice,” the ruling stated.
The ICC further said Duterte’s physical and mental condition did not outweigh the risks cited by the court.
Earlier, Duterte’s camp argued that the former chief executive had been experiencing frequent falls due to balance issues and was also suffering from memory problems. His lawyers claimed his condition made it unlikely for him to influence witnesses or obstruct the case.
Despite those arguments, the tribunal ruled that Duterte would remain detained while proceedings before the ICC continue.
May 23, 2026
We are dedicated storytellers with a passion for bringing your brand to life. Our services range from news and media features to brand promotion and collaborations.
Interested? Visit our
Contact Us page for more information. To learn more about what we offer, check out our latest article on services and opportunities.


