NATIONAL
Advocates Philippines
Remulla: Senate Was 'Not Under Attack'
Photo credit: DILG
Interior Secretary Jonvic Remulla said Tuesday that the May 13 incident inside the Senate was not an armed attack against the institution, citing CCTV footage and evidence gathered by investigators.
During a press briefing, Remulla said the ongoing investigation by the Philippine National Police showed that former police general and Senate Sergeant-at-Arms Mao Aplasca allegedly fired the first shots during the confrontation involving National Bureau of Investigation agents at the Senate premises.
According to Remulla, investigators reviewed CCTV footage showing Aplasca firing toward National Bureau of Investigation agents who were conducting an inspection in the area.
The Interior chief also claimed the footage showed Aplasca instructing OSAA personnel, police officers, and Marines to “lock and load” their firearms while the incident was ongoing. He added that media personnel were also allowed to remain in the area during the standoff.
Despite the evidence already reviewed, Remulla said authorities are still not prepared to conclude whether the incident was staged or intentionally planned from the start.
“We will let the evidence speak for itself. The investigation remains ongoing, and all angles will be examined carefully and fairly,” he said.
Meanwhile, PNP chief Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. confirmed that Aplasca had been instructed to appear before the PNP-Criminal Investigation and Detection Group to surrender his firearm for ballistic testing, but failed to comply.
Justice Secretary Fredderick Vida also said the videos collected by investigators are considered important evidence in determining what exactly happened during the Senate incident.
Vida added that all evidence gathered by both the NBI and the PNP would eventually be submitted to prosecutors for evaluation to determine possible criminal or administrative liabilities.
During a press briefing, Remulla said the ongoing investigation by the Philippine National Police showed that former police general and Senate Sergeant-at-Arms Mao Aplasca allegedly fired the first shots during the confrontation involving National Bureau of Investigation agents at the Senate premises.
According to Remulla, investigators reviewed CCTV footage showing Aplasca firing toward National Bureau of Investigation agents who were conducting an inspection in the area.
The Interior chief also claimed the footage showed Aplasca instructing OSAA personnel, police officers, and Marines to “lock and load” their firearms while the incident was ongoing. He added that media personnel were also allowed to remain in the area during the standoff.
Despite the evidence already reviewed, Remulla said authorities are still not prepared to conclude whether the incident was staged or intentionally planned from the start.
“We will let the evidence speak for itself. The investigation remains ongoing, and all angles will be examined carefully and fairly,” he said.
Meanwhile, PNP chief Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. confirmed that Aplasca had been instructed to appear before the PNP-Criminal Investigation and Detection Group to surrender his firearm for ballistic testing, but failed to comply.
Justice Secretary Fredderick Vida also said the videos collected by investigators are considered important evidence in determining what exactly happened during the Senate incident.
Vida added that all evidence gathered by both the NBI and the PNP would eventually be submitted to prosecutors for evaluation to determine possible criminal or administrative liabilities.
May 19, 2026
We are dedicated storytellers with a passion for bringing your brand to life. Our services range from news and media features to brand promotion and collaborations.
Interested? Visit our
Contact Us page for more information. To learn more about what we offer, check out our latest article on services and opportunities.


