NATIONAL
Advocates Philippines
Torreon Slams NBI Over 'Armed and Dangerous' Tag On Bato
Photo credit: Senate PH
Lawyer Israelito Torreon criticized the National Bureau of Investigation for describing Senator Ronald dela Rosa as armed and dangerous amid ongoing efforts to arrest the lawmaker over an International Criminal Court warrant tied to the Duterte administration’s anti-drug campaign.
In a statement released Saturday, Torreon said the characterization made by NBI Director Melvin Matibag was unfounded and could escalate tensions surrounding the controversial case involving the former Philippine National Police chief.
Torreon argued that dela Rosa has not resisted authorities and has instead chosen to challenge the legality of the ICC warrant before the courts. He maintained that the senator continues to act within the bounds of the law while legal proceedings remain pending before the Supreme Court.
The lawyer also questioned the enforceability of the ICC warrant in the Philippines, pointing out that the country withdrew from the Rome Statute in March 2019. He stressed that no Philippine court has issued a domestic arrest warrant against dela Rosa and insisted that the ICC order alone cannot automatically be enforced in the country.
The statement came after Matibag confirmed that authorities were treating dela Rosa as “armed and dangerous” under standard law enforcement procedures while tracking his whereabouts. According to the NBI chief, high-profile fugitives are generally approached with caution during arrest operations.
Matibag also cited earlier incidents during the Senate standoff this month, including footage showing dela Rosa carrying duffle bags while leaving the Senate complex, which authorities suspected could have contained firearms.
The Department of Justice earlier ordered the NBI and Philippine National Police to arrest dela Rosa following the issuance of the ICC warrant connected to alleged crimes against humanity during the Duterte administration’s war on drugs.
Torreon, however, urged authorities to exercise restraint and allow the Supreme Court to resolve the legal issues surrounding the case. He revealed that their camp filed a Manifestation with Reservation to File a Motion for Reconsideration before the high court on May 22 after dela Rosa’s request for interim relief was denied.
The senator has remained out of public sight since leaving the Senate complex earlier this month, when authorities attempted to serve the ICC warrant. The incident triggered a tense standoff that drew national attention and intensified debate over the Philippines’ obligations to the ICC.
In a statement released Saturday, Torreon said the characterization made by NBI Director Melvin Matibag was unfounded and could escalate tensions surrounding the controversial case involving the former Philippine National Police chief.
Torreon argued that dela Rosa has not resisted authorities and has instead chosen to challenge the legality of the ICC warrant before the courts. He maintained that the senator continues to act within the bounds of the law while legal proceedings remain pending before the Supreme Court.
The lawyer also questioned the enforceability of the ICC warrant in the Philippines, pointing out that the country withdrew from the Rome Statute in March 2019. He stressed that no Philippine court has issued a domestic arrest warrant against dela Rosa and insisted that the ICC order alone cannot automatically be enforced in the country.
The statement came after Matibag confirmed that authorities were treating dela Rosa as “armed and dangerous” under standard law enforcement procedures while tracking his whereabouts. According to the NBI chief, high-profile fugitives are generally approached with caution during arrest operations.
Matibag also cited earlier incidents during the Senate standoff this month, including footage showing dela Rosa carrying duffle bags while leaving the Senate complex, which authorities suspected could have contained firearms.
The Department of Justice earlier ordered the NBI and Philippine National Police to arrest dela Rosa following the issuance of the ICC warrant connected to alleged crimes against humanity during the Duterte administration’s war on drugs.
Torreon, however, urged authorities to exercise restraint and allow the Supreme Court to resolve the legal issues surrounding the case. He revealed that their camp filed a Manifestation with Reservation to File a Motion for Reconsideration before the high court on May 22 after dela Rosa’s request for interim relief was denied.
The senator has remained out of public sight since leaving the Senate complex earlier this month, when authorities attempted to serve the ICC warrant. The incident triggered a tense standoff that drew national attention and intensified debate over the Philippines’ obligations to the ICC.
May 24, 2026
We are dedicated storytellers with a passion for bringing your brand to life. Our services range from news and media features to brand promotion and collaborations.
Interested? Visit our
Contact Us page for more information. To learn more about what we offer, check out our latest article on services and opportunities.


